Sunday, October 7, 2007

Ask Engadget: Can a NAS device really change your life?

Filed under: , , ,

We've got ourselves a tall order here on Ask Engadget, Tony's looking for basically the holy grail of home media gadgetry, and while we're not sure he's going to get all he's asking for -- or even half of it -- we're always up for a challenge. Oh, and as always, don't be shy to send in your own ridiculous requests and more reasonable queries alike to ask at engadget dawt com. Here goes:

"OK, it's a torrent world now, as big media doesn't seem to get the fact that I want to watch what I want, when I want, how I want. So I'm looking for an easy, efficient NAS type device that will handle my torrents. It must:

  • Work well with my Mac
  • Allow me access when I am on the road (away from home) to add new torrents, see status, etc.
  • Work with my Airport Extreme with a HD attached.
  • Play nice with my Apple TV (how I watch most files I dl). Can also be used with a 360 if the ATV is a make or break.
  • Expandable via drive bays or USB 2.0.
  • Not be a power pig.
  • Price is not really a major object, but of course good value is preferred.
  • Must be quick and easy to add and delete torrents, as I don't have a lot of time to muck around.

What do you or the other readers suggest?"

Would you like fries with that Tony? But seriously, anybody got any pearls of wisdom and / or reality checks for Mr. Optimistic? He might just have to get crafty on his own with a little bit of Automator or perhaps the BitTorrent SDK itself, but perhaps we can get him halfway there. Oh, and it goes without saying that Tony's just looking to download the latest and greatest media released under a CC license for his free consumption, yes?

 

Permalink | Email this | Comments


Office Depot Featured Gadget: Xbox 360 Platinum System Packs the power to bring games to life!

[via] Engadget

No comments: